The Sheer Number Of Engineering Majors On Offer Can Have Anyone At The Crossroads.
Psychology states that dilemma is a situation in which a difficult choice is to be made between two or more alternatives, especially the ones equally desirable or undesirable. And the dilemma is something most prospective international students go through over the choice of Major subjects. And if you are an Engineering student then the dilemma becomes manifold. The sheer number of engineering majors on offer can have anyone at the crossroads. Which subject to opt for? Do I have the right skills and aptitude for the subject? I am sure these are some of the most frequently asked questions from the student folk. But fret not, as long as we are here this myth is there to be decoded. So without further adieu lets talk about Engineering Majors. Our topic for today is AEROSPACE ENGINEERING.
It is a specialized branch of engineering concerning the design and working of an aircraft or spacecraft. As an Aerospace Engineering student, you will be dealing with the design and development of aircraft as well as spacecraft. The course curriculum covers the aspects of two other branch of engineering: aeronautical and astronautical engineering. If you are a space enthusiast, then
believe me this is the course meant for you. The course also focuses on new technologies in aviation, defense systems and of course space exploration.
- With the world veering towards cost-effective satellites and
space shuttles, it’ll need trained experts to design them.
- With private players like SpaceX entering the industry,
opportunities look better than ever.
- The demand of aerospace engineers is set to increase manifold
as the world moves towards commercialization of space shuttles and rockets.
DUTIES OF AERO SPACE ENGINEERS
Aerospace engineers typically do the following:
- Direct and coordinate the design,
manufacture, and testing of aircraft and aerospace products
- Assess proposals for projects to
determine if they are technically and financially feasible
- Determine if proposed projects
will result in safe operations that meet the defined goals
- Evaluate designs to see that the
products meet engineering principles, customer requirements, and
- Develop acceptance criteria for
design methods, quality standards, sustainment after delivery, and
- Ensure that projects meet quality
- Inspect malfunctioning or damaged
products to identify sources of problems and possible solutions
TOP COLLEGES IN INDIA
Name (QS World University Rank 2018)
1. IIT Bombay (179)
2. IIST Thiruvananthapuram (Not Ranked)
3. IIT Madras (264)
4. IIT Kanpur (293)
5. IIT Kharagpur (308)
TOP AEROSPACE ENGINEERING PROGRAMS ABROAD
Name (QS World
University Rank 2018)
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1)
2. Stanford University (2)
3. California Institute of Technology (4)
4. The University of Michigan- Ann Arbor College of Engineering (21)
5. University of Texas- Austin (67)
I hope I was able to give you an idea about Aerospace Engineering, which has got immense
potential and it remains one of the most popular branches of engineering. In the next article, we shall cover another engineering discipline. Stay tuned.